Dreaming about words

Dreaming about words within the General Writing Talk forums, part of the Writing Discussion category at Fictionpost Writing Forums - Where Writers Unite; I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who spends some time in their dreams, dreaming out writing. Usually I write poems in my dreams, but every now and then I remember I'm working on a novel and I'll use ...(dreaming, dreams, words)

Professional Procrastinator Rose Laflesh's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dreaming about words

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who spends some time in their dreams, dreaming out writing. Usually I write poems in my dreams, but every now and then I remember I'm working on a novel and I'll use my dream world to think of new things for the story, or I'll be writing the story. It is really helpful as long as I don't forget what I dreamt, like last night. I know I came up with new ideas for Something Good and Evil, but i can't remember them. All I remember from my dreams are running around a bunch of cubicles in this office, carrying a huge roll of plastic wrap and completely covering the floor, walls, and making people into plastic wrap mummies.. Then I went into an elevator and it took me up to this world full of crap, and I had to walk through piles of crap. But I know I dreamt about Something Good and Evil before, I just can't remember.

I'm sure it's still in there, I just need to find a way to get it out. After all, it is my dreams.

I still love dream writing, it's better than dream reading. Sometimes my dreams will come with subtitles that I have to read (like in a movie), Sometimes the dream is about reading a book, and once there was no pages, no subtitles, it was just words, like my entire dream was a word program, glowing white background and black letters in a Times New Roman font (I compared fonts when I woke up). Dream reading isn't as much fun, I don't get to do anything.

How often do you dream write or dream read, or dream about what you're going to write next?

Legen - wait for it - Melisende's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Dreaming about words

I don't think I do that very much... I don't usually even dream of the characters from the dreams, or the settings. : P I dream much more about TV shows or computer games that I've played - it's images that get to me. : P

Once I did come up with a few really good lines in a dream, but most of the time words have pretty much nothing to do with what I dream, and it's all just events and sights. : P
    Fictionpost June 2013 Writing Competition Winner: The Ship's Cat by SilverDolphin.
    Fictionpost July 2013 Poetry Competition Winner: The Jungle by mellen.
    Fictionpost August 2013 Writing Competition Winner: Grandpa's Grand Piano by Rose LaFlesh
    Fictionpost September 2013 Poetry Competition Winner: The Wondrous Scarr Street Scam by LadyOfTheSea
    Fictionpost October 2013 Writing Competition Winner: A Walk Down Memory Lane by Necherous

https://sites.google.com/site/captaintempleton/home
    elizabethpriest.co.uk
    http://www.ilovemel.me/
    '
    - dary!

Blog Entries

I don't dream about writing or about my characters/stories, but every once in a while I write an awesome song in my dreams, but then I wake up and write down the lyrics and realize that they're awful.

Professional Procrastinator Rose Laflesh's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ok, so far I am the only one who dreams about my stories and uses my dream world to write.

I'm surprised, I would have thought that there are a lot of people who use the boundless area of their imagination as a tool for brainstorming ideas.

Blog Entries

Well, we do, Rose, we just do it while we're awake.

Blog Entries

Sometimes I dream in French.

"The world to me was a secret, which I desired to discover; to her it was a vacancy,
    which she sought to people with imaginations of her own."

Blog Entries

I dream very rarely, but when I do it's typically a very good story with a beginning, middle and end. Remembering it is the hardest part.

The script I'm writing, Maneuver, was from a dream. The short story El Vecino I started was from a dream. I have one or two other outlined short stories that came to me while I was sleeping.

Edit - And now that I remember it, El Vecino was the weirdest freaking dream I've had in a long time. I didn't get to the good stuff in the story, but there was an evil oasis with a giant evil plant and a van driven by evil demon clowns.... really odd. And I woke up from Maneuver sobbing. It was fabulous.
    Last edited by Poof; 25-06-2010 at 04:33 AM.
    Queen of Writer's Block

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Wow, we should bottle up Poof's dreams and sell them... We'd make a fortune. : P
    Fictionpost June 2013 Writing Competition Winner: The Ship's Cat by SilverDolphin.
    Fictionpost August 2013 Writing Competition Winner: Grandpa's Grand Piano by Rose LaFlesh
    Fictionpost September 2013 Poetry Competition Winner: The Wondrous Scarr Street Scam by LadyOfTheSea
    Fictionpost October 2013 Writing Competition Winner: A Walk Down Memory Lane by Necherous

elizabethpriest.co.uk
    '
    - dary!

Wow Rose, that's super cool! I think the only time I've ever dreamt about a story of mine was when I dreamt I came and rescued Max from heart ache, and we had a lovely life together hahahaha.

Ohhh, I wish I could dream write, that'd be so much easier!!

That my friends... is a turtle on a mini, turtle-sized skateboard.
    You are welcome.

Novice
    Blog Entries

I think it's awesome that you can dream up stories. Usually, when I have dreams, they're weird and random and even if they do have characters of mine in 'em, they're acting so weird it wouldn't help me one bit story-wise. It can help me develop them, though, so that's always a good thing. Sometimes I dream up stories though that are in my head all day long until I write it down. This has only happened a few times though. Now I think I should go back and try to develop those characters from my dreams.

Usually, I dream about characters from TV shows, books, movies, etc... TV show dreams usually happen if I read fanfiction before bed and it's usually close to the plot of those fanctions, so they're not really story dreams. I dream read sometimes too. Usually I dream that everything is happening in front of me and I think it actually is and then it turns out I was just reading it happening on my computer. I love the dreams that make sense and tell stories and have characters with at least a semblence of personality and not just saying random things the most though. I just think it's really cool how dreams can help you in that way.

My dreams are always very strange and usually pretty creepy too. I don't think I've ever written or read anything in my dreams before... I get lots of crazy ideas from my dreams though and I usually manipulate them so that they're useful to me.

Oh! I dreamt about fonts once... They were battling each other... The small, italic fonts were losing and the bigger, bold fonts were winning... It was odd. o.o
    They’re not people anymore. Just empty shells. Nothing more than a host for the disease to live in and spread.

Blog Entries

Been thinking about this, and I remember a dream I once had that ended in a spectacular little love poem - it was probably only 6-7 lines long, or maybe that's only as much as I remember seeing... It faded to only a few words as I was waking up, and once I'd rocketed into a sitting position and was hunting for my notebook it had gone altogether with just an impression of the words and a memory of the lovers in my head...

I think about it a lot, actually, whenever I try and think of beatiful words, or to write poems, because they were the most amazing combination of words I've ever seen. But... to quote Tenacious D:

And the peculiar thing is this my friends:
    the song we sang on that fateful night it didn't actually sound
    anything like this song!

This is just a tribute!

elizabethpriest.co.uk
    '
    - dary!

Law
    Blog Entries

Both me and Paine have dreams about Resistance and that's where some of our storylines come from. Actually, the whole idea of Resistance came from a dream Paine had and we ran with it from there using the dreams we have to add more stories. We just convert dreams into comics, well not all our comics are created from dreams, we do think of most of the ideas ourselves.... you get the idea.

Thread Information