Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

"Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up."

"Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up." within the Introduce Yourself! forums, part of the Community category at Fictionpost Writing Forums - Where Writers Unite; such as? explain what exactly you mean by 'opposition'...()

Blog Entries

Re: "Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up."

such as? explain what exactly you mean by 'opposition'
    Don't say I have a disability,

Say that I'm playing life on expert mode

and I'm still beating you, who's on normal...

wussy

Blog Entries

I myself do not write to get published. It's not my goal what so ever... I write to make something better of myself...for myself...and if others enjoy it along the way...Bonus!... It also helps when you have LOADS of ideas (and the suchlike in your head and all you can do is think about them, or play with them in your mind) to write them down..or get them out of your mind so you can move on to other stuff / function normally XD

Others have tried to submit work for publishing and it's not been taken any further...
    Last edited by Necherous; 11-12-2011 at 05:53 PM.
    - Necherous -
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
    The true nature of a man is determined in the battle between his conscious mind and his subconscious.
    The evil in my subconscious is too strong to resist.
    The only way to win is deny it battle.

Legen - wait for it - Melisende's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No, I've been turned down by an agent and a publisher I sent an unsolicited submission to this week, but I don't mind. They were some of my first attempts to flog a novel and that's a lot harder than short stories... I've got 2 of mine printed somewhere, although admittedly one was a student magazine that I was, er, the submissions editor on. *cough*
    Fictionpost June 2013 Writing Competition Winner: The Ship's Cat by SilverDolphin.
    Fictionpost July 2013 Poetry Competition Winner: The Jungle by mellen.
    Fictionpost August 2013 Writing Competition Winner: Grandpa's Grand Piano by Rose LaFlesh
    Fictionpost September 2013 Poetry Competition Winner: The Wondrous Scarr Street Scam by LadyOfTheSea
    Fictionpost October 2013 Writing Competition Winner: A Walk Down Memory Lane by Necherous

https://sites.google.com/site/captaintempleton/home
    elizabethpriest.co.uk
    http://www.ilovemel.me/
    '
    - dary!

I myself do not write to get published. It's not my goal what so ever... I write to make something better of myself...for myself...and if others enjoy it along the way...Bonus!... It also helps when you have LOADS of ideas (and the suchlike in your head and all you can do is think about them, or play with them in your mind) to write them down..or get them out of your mind so you can move on to other stuff / function normally XD

Others have tried to submit work for publishing and it's not been taken any further...
    That's a good philosophy to maintain. I have my writing goals in mind, and I hope to flourish - but for now, I'm still watering those aspirations.
    So what then, of publication? On this site, I mean.

No, I've been turned down by an agent and a publisher I sent an unsolicited submission to this week, but I don't mind. They were some of my first attempts to flog a novel and that's a lot harder than short stories... I've got 2 of mine printed somewhere, although admittedly one was a student magazine that I was, er, the submissions editor on. *cough*
    I suppose that answers it, then. I have several novels of my own, and only one that really took shape - but even that is gathering dust in my computer's database.

such as? explain what exactly you mean by 'opposition'
    Perhaps you can imagine. AP Language & Composition: AP is a generous term for most of the students in there, who hardly qualify.
    Only worse than AP is English 10 Honors; I've many a horror story of that class.
    This above all: To thine own self be true.

Blog Entries

oh I've been there before, take my pre-calc class from last year... only about half the people in there really qualified to be in there.

though wether you should or shouldn't be in there is over looked at times when certain neccesaties are needed

wussy

I'd say I hardly qualify for my Pre-Calc, despite the 94 I'm getting; math and I don't get along.

It's just disappointing, I suppose, since English should be my favorite high school subject. But, sadly, that's impossible.

Blog Entries

yeah, english 3 honors turned out to be a disappointment for me as well. we don't do jack in there but read and talk. it's become more of a philosophy class than anything.

wussy

Blog Entries

Urgh, at my university the course was English & Creative Writing so people who didn't particularly want to write sometimes found themselves on a creative writing class because they couldn't avoid it in the timetable... Some people ended up in my workshop group who I swear had never written a paragraph of creative stuff in their life. :/ There were enough of us in the group who were okay that I actually began to feel a bit guilty about our friend who didn't write much because she never brought anything much to the workshops and never said anything... Her silence made me feel all pushy and pretentious, and also annoyed I was only getting half the reviews on my writing I could have benefited from if I'd sat with the annoying literature snobs.
    Fictionpost June 2013 Writing Competition Winner: The Ship's Cat by SilverDolphin.
    Fictionpost August 2013 Writing Competition Winner: Grandpa's Grand Piano by Rose LaFlesh
    Fictionpost September 2013 Poetry Competition Winner: The Wondrous Scarr Street Scam by LadyOfTheSea
    Fictionpost October 2013 Writing Competition Winner: A Walk Down Memory Lane by Necherous

elizabethpriest.co.uk
    '
    - dary!

You bring up an interesting point, Melisende: What's your personal definition for the term 'literature snob'?

Blog Entries

Mostly people who read outside my field of interest and talk knowledgeably about something I don't care about and have no intention of reading, making them incomprehensible to me, and boring. I'm vaguely jealous they know stuff I don't, but at the same time I wonder, is it really worth it? Clearly what I am interested in is, like, the best. They're just reading that person because they're supposed to be edgy and they think it makes them look cool to read something else... Ha ha, I'm an awful person when it comes to books. It's more about the attitude than anything. I respect someone's right to read any book in the library. I don't respect people who read it held dramatically out in front of them and then say to the person next to them in a loud voice, "Oh, I will comment on *that* in our book group tonight!"

Edit: and you notice certain types of writers with that certain type of fan base, and then you start getting prejudiced about various literary movements as being "for book snobs"
    Last edited by Melisende; 11-12-2011 at 09:36 PM.

elizabethpriest.co.uk
    '
    - dary!

That's possibly one of the best rants I've witnessed. No, yeah...it definitely is.

I suppose there's a fine line between good taste and literary elitism. I ask because most find me to be as such (the latter, I mean), but they don't understand.
    I read, when I have the time, a range of books - high- and low-brow - and I read for my enjoyment, not for a gold star. However, I think it is my writing which offends most.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Necherous View Post
    No one is going to hold a gun to your head and demand you post to remain with us.
    Oh, I dunno about that, some of us so that to Goth on occasion, I think it's safe to say no one will hold you ransom for your writing for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Necherous View Post
    But if you leave us...We hope you find what you need for your writing else where and enjoy the journey you take to get there!
    Leave? I'm confused... What does that mean? How does it work?

Welcome to Effpia, sorry I'm late, but welcome nevertheless. Want a future cookie? I make them myself, I'm from the future, hence they are future cookies, not normal cookies...

You'll do nicely, enjoy your stay, and don't bother trying to escape, 'tis impossible.
    “Love is not all wine and roses. Sometimes it’s handcuffs and cheese” ~Tim Minchin

“Don’t tell me the sky’s the limit when there’s footprints on the moon”

Procrastinate now, don't put it off!

Blog Entries

There's a difference between being aware of literary terms and critical techniques, and discussing in those terms when you know that'll separate you from others (and them from you). That's elitism; doing it just because you can and not being considerate of other people/your audience.

It seems like you'll more than fit in here. I'm TFB, apologies for the weird welcome.

EDIT: Or I guess there's elitism to be had in reading, but I regard that as reading something that's largely incomprehensible to those without the knowledge to do so easily for the purpose of being able to feel better than someone else (and perhaps laud your knowledge over them).
    Last edited by theforestbot; 12-12-2011 at 02:02 PM.
    'I think you're crazier than a fox,
    You insane bastard who's outside the box.
    In fact, so far outside the box
    That the simple idea of
    'Fox'
    Should really be in an entirely different box.'

Come visit the box.

I'll gladly take some future cookies. But if they are always to remain in the future, will I ever be able to eat them? Food for thought...

Quote Originally Posted by theforestbot View Post
    There's a difference between being aware of literary terms and critical techniques, and discussing in those terms when you know that'll separate you from others (and them from you). That's elitism; doing it just because you can and not being considerate of other people/your audience.

Or I guess there's elitism to be had in reading, but I regard that as reading something that's largely incomprehensible to those without the knowledge to do so easily for the purpose of being able to feel better than someone else (and perhaps laud your knowledge over them).
    I agree with all of that. I suppose my peers choose to ostracize me, and in turn I've congratulated myself as compensation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ange de Lucioles View Post
    I'll gladly take some future cookies. But if they are always to remain in the future, will I ever be able to eat them? Food for thought...
    If I am from the future, then how can I be here? Yet I am, so if it is possible for me to be here, so to it must be possible for the cookies to be here.

I you are confused, I have succeeded.
    “Love is not all wine and roses. Sometimes it’s handcuffs and cheese” ~Tim Minchin

You're trying to blow my mind. If anything, you've made me hungry; those better be some damn good cookies.

Blog Entries

They are... Try some. * brings out plate of fresh steeling cookies*

Blog Entries

she's just bsing you Ange

wussy

Blog Entries

^he's just a pessimist...
    Don't listen to him, try some yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by chaos View Post
    she's just bsing you Ange
    Good thing you told me; I probably shouldn't accept cookies from cyber-strangers.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread Information