Page 1 of 2 12 Last

persuasive speech(should girls wear makeup)

persuasive speech(should girls wear makeup) within the The Lounge forums, part of the Community category at Fictionpost Writing Forums - Where Writers Unite; i have to write a persuasive speech. its only about 5-6 minutes i know i can do it easily but i was thinking about writing about my thoughts that girls do not NEED to wear make up. but sometimes some ...(girls, makeup, persuasive, speechshould, wear)

persuasive speech(should girls wear makeup)

i have to write a persuasive speech.
    its only about 5-6 minutes i know i can do it easily but i was thinking about writing about my thoughts that girls do not NEED to wear make up. but sometimes some girls look better with make up i myself look okay both ways but choose to not wear make up because i dont wanna be that girl that has to put my face on to go out or because its like day and night when you see me lol

any ways anyone have any thoughts on it or maybe things that i should adress arguements i might encounter whatever? help would be appreciated!

:werd:History isn't repeating itself, it is stuttering over an issue it hasn't yet addressed. :byebye:

Professional Procrastinator Rose Laflesh's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: persuasive speech(should girls wear makeup)

You could do it about how girls should NOT wear makeup, and use the fact that some look better with it as a balance to your argument giving it a more thought out appearance.

You should look up the harmful things makeup does.

i actually had it to begin with as NOT but changed it to we dont need it i will do that i just think natural beauty is better. but some people really look good in makeup. maybe im jealous lol naaahhh

:werd:History isn't repeating itself, it is stuttering over an issue it hasn't yet addressed. :byebye:

I think it's a wee bit cynical to say EVERY girl doesn't need/want to wear make-up. Can you imagine a poor girl with like, major acne not wearing make-up? She'd be totally picked on, and it wouldn't be fair.

I think make-up can sometimes be a really positive thing. When I get ready to go out with my friends I have my little routine, and it makes me feel good... Stick my iPod on, get my cosmetic bag out... I can understand if some people don't NEED to wear make-up - believe me, I have plenty of friends rocking the whole 'natural beauty' thing, but it's a little naive to say you don't think any girl should wear it.

I mean, there's a million magazines picking out every flaw in celebrities... You know, so and so makes fashion faux pas, other person goes out looking like shit in her pyjamas...

Didn't matter in the cave-man days, but now...?

That my friends... is a turtle on a mini, turtle-sized skateboard.
    You are welcome.

Blog Entries

But then the problem with saying girls should wear make-up is also bad because that's sexist as well as having someone tell you how to live.

If I were you, I'd actually be changing the whole argument. I'd begin by saying why it would be wrong to say why all women should wear make-up, but then I'd talk about the benefits of make-up for some. And then I'd talk conclude with saying it should be the individuals choice, and have a final point to ponder by stating that if its the individual choice, that includes men too. But that's just me
    Feel free to give good critical feedback on my work. You will not upset or offend me. I can take it :-)

Don't think outside the box. Think there is no box!

Do not grieve for the story, for it did not truly die. It just faked its own death and changed its identity.

Competition winners:
    June 2013 - The Ship's Cat by Silver Dolphin
    July 2013 - The Jungle by Mellen
    Aug 2013 - Grandpa's Grand Piano by Rose Laflesh

Quote Originally Posted by amberzak
    If I were you, I'd actually be changing the whole argument. I'd begin by saying why it would be wrong to say why all women should wear make-up, but then I'd talk about the benefits of make-up for some. And then I'd talk conclude with saying it should be the individuals choice, and have a final point to ponder by stating that if its the individual choice, that includes men too. But that's just me
    Nope--it's me too.

I like my make-up; eyeliner has almost become as much a part of me as my limbs. (Have to wonder why it hasn't permanently stained my eyelids by this point. ) However, I also think that cosmetics make a poor substitute for actual self-esteem and should enhance what features you already have rather than try to create ones you don't--unless theatrics is the desired result.

Anyhow...maybe look into the history of make-up and the myriad ways it's been used in different cultures as well as yours. Go through the negative and positive ways it can affect a person's self-image as well as their skin/body. Make-up by itself isn't good or bad; it's all in how we use it.

Blog Entries

I think Goth's pretty much hit the nail om the head. She says that her make up is pretty much a part of her... I'm the other way.

I haven't worn make up regularly since I was in school and make up was part of how popular you were. Kind of like wearing war paint and preparing yourself for the day.

But then I'm lucky. I have enough self esteem to know that I'm pretty enough without wearing make up And one of my proudest moments was when getting ready for my prom when I was 16, the beautician said that I didn't need foundation. Having struggled with pretty serious acne in the past I'm now happy to say that I have completely clear skin - except maybe where the acne has left tiny scars...

Most people would hate those, but I find that when I cover up with foundation, it doesn't look like me anymore.

Also, as an actress, putting on makeup is like part of a costume for me... so putting on make up can often be associated with work.

That said, I do associate make up with girliness. So sometimes, if I'm going out I'll take care with my malke up as part of my dressing up routine.

BUT the major difference is that when I was a little younger I saw it as expected, whereas now I do it because I like to make myself feel good by making myself look good. And when you know how to use makeup properly you can really accentuate your looks, or completely change them, or just think of make up as an accessory to your outfit.

Something I think maybe you should look at is not just make up like foundation etc... but the culture that goes with it; such as having to pluck eyebrows, paint nails etc etc
    January 2014 Poetry Winner - Metaphor - by Mercutio

"THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT:

YOU SIT DOWN AT THE KEYBOARD AND YOU PUT ONE WORD AFTER ANOTHER
    UNTIL IT'S DONE.

IT'S THAT EASY, AND THAT HARD."
    - NEIL GAIMAN

Jerry Springer Star peepo-spider's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lucky girls looking good without it

See now there's me coming down in the morning to see my brother waiting there with a small trough of paint, "Don't want to scare the neighbours now, do we? Might upset the resale value "

Naw, I don't wear my make-up for anyone, but myself, I find it quite an empowering thing.

It's become more than a case of painting my face, it's become readying myself for a day, the transition between sleep and 'go, go, go!' mode.

Plus as an artist I adore trying out different ways of applying it, different colours, different levels of it, different styles. It's interesting and it's that same boost as say buying a new jacket or getting a haircut. It's the small changes that make a big difference.

"Can't argue with the little things, it's the little things that make life!"

BUUTT on the other side of the coin-- why should I feel like that?

Why should I have to change myself in the morning to feel good once out? It's not naturally like that.
    AND don't you feel a tad dull if you're out on a casual day out with a friend in STUNNING make up? I don't mean over the top, certified-clownified gear either!

Having these doors open to us and often being in certain social circles can create a vicious, competitive cycle, ESPECIALLY in young women where the last thing that they need is even more pressure! They're all wearing it, I wont ever even get looked at stood next to them (asides sneers) kind of thing.

Make-up. Pressure tool or empowering product?

Question being is it being used to hide yourself or show off yourself?

In my case it hides all sins

'Course I'm good in bed! I could sleep for days!

Blog Entries

I paint my face, sometimes, but I never wear make up.
    "I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me."
    "Is Billy Idol just doing a bad Elvis pout, or was he born that way?"
    "What will I be doing in twenty years' time? I'll be dead, darling! Are you crazy?"
    -Freddie Mercury

"You have to destroy the previous generation to invent your own."
    -Andrew Czezowski

R.I.P. Chris Kanyon

and Andy Hallett

Blog Entries

See, I'm lucky (again, I know I know, you aaaaaaall hate me) that even without make up, stood in a line of girls and women, I will get picked out. I have an interesting face, and I know that I'm attractive.

And that confidence is one of the things that make me stand out, even without make up.

Here what I think: it's not a question of SHOULD girls wear make up or not; it's should they feel pressured to?

AND, should make up even be offered as a way to get over insecurities and fears or is it just a form of escapism, or hiding from your fears?

I think it's how women percieve it.
    Are they putting on make up to make themselves look good? Or to feel like they can compete with others?

Are they putting on make up to please themselves when they look in the mirror? Or because they know how other people will look at them?

And then the other way to look at it would be to think how to those same women feel when they're not wearing make up? I know several friends who feel naked without their make up.

My response is that I wouldn't feel uncomfortable even if I were naked

"THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT:

UNTIL IT'S DONE.

- NEIL GAIMAN

Blog Entries

My friend doesn't wear makeup because she is really feminist and says that if one gender is expected to wear makeup and one isn't, it's sexist.

Blog Entries

Oooh there's an idea... what about touching briefly on the reaction of if a guy wears make up?

"THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT:

UNTIL IT'S DONE.

- NEIL GAIMAN

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Cabusao View Post
    Oooh there's an idea... what about touching briefly on the reaction of if a guy wears make up?
    I said that - I said 'It's the individuals choice, that includes men too' - I think it should be acceptable for me to wear make up too
    Feel free to give good critical feedback on my work. You will not upset or offend me. I can take it :-)

Do not grieve for the story, for it did not truly die. It just faked its own death and changed its identity.

Competition winners:

Blog Entries

Oh haha sorry must've missed you saying that.

But yeah I definitely agree

"THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT:

UNTIL IT'S DONE.

- NEIL GAIMAN

Blog Entries

Oh haha sorry must've missed you saying that.

But yeah I definitely agree
    That's okay. It was a while ago.

Competition winners:

Blog Entries

I do know some guys that have no problem wearing make up when they want to... course, most are bi or gay...

One is my boyfriend.............................

"THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT:

UNTIL IT'S DONE.

- NEIL GAIMAN

Blog Entries

Or actors - some boys who are actors wear makeup

I never wear makeup (I'm a girl) - ever.

Competition winners:

Blog Entries

Gay.... Bi... Actors... It's all the same to me. Lol.

Nah, strictly speaking I know a lot of lovely straight male actors lol. But yes, some of them aren't adverse to wearing makeup. Offstage as well as on.

"THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT:

UNTIL IT'S DONE.

- NEIL GAIMAN

geee this makes me think.

See, I'm lucky (again, I know I know, you aaaaaaall hate me) that even without make up, stood in a line of girls and women, I will get picked out. I have an interesting face, and I know that I'm attractive.

And that confidence is one of the things that make me stand out, even without make up.

Here what I think: it's not a question of SHOULD girls wear make up or not; it's should they feel pressured to?

AND, should make up even be offered as a way to get over insecurities and fears or is it just a form of escapism, or hiding from your fears?

I think it's how women percieve it.
    Are they putting on make up to make themselves look good? Or to feel like they can compete with others?

Are they putting on make up to please themselves when they look in the mirror? Or because they know how other people will look at them?

And then the other way to look at it would be to think how to those same women feel when they're not wearing make up? I know several friends who feel naked without their make up.

My response is that I wouldn't feel uncomfortable even if I were naked
    okay this actually helps me alot i think i may change my arguement to this....i have to be completely on one side i cant really do both and the ideas are a flowin awesome....

yeahhh i may try that except my teacher says i already bring up alot of things that make her blush and she isnt a fan lol shes very weird.

i know lots of guys who like to wear eyeliner and mascara. a friend of my works at bare essentials he is beautiful and wears more makeup then i have in my whole life yet it looks oddly natural.

i have a couple of weeks to write my speech and i thank you guys it has been really helpful. i was just really worried that i wouldnt be able to get my point across and be persuasive in it because there are alot of arguements for both sides that make sense and so its tuff but i have some ideas so im happy
    Last edited by The Laughing Goth; 28-03-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Venge
    Can you imagine a poor girl with like, major acne not wearing make-up? She'd be totally picked on, and it wouldn't be fair.
    That's a little harsh don't ya think? What you're saying Venge, is that your cultural group and how you see the world, all people who have bad acne and such SHOULD wear make up. As in you personally think make up should be worn not to make yourself look better, but make yourself look acceptable.

Peer pressure.
    Expectations.
    Sexism in the media.
    And such topics.

I was never, and still am not, expected to wear make up, and considering I live in the same place as you Venge, I can only put this down as the small, two year age gap and culture change. When I was at Helenswood the chavs worse dodgy foundation and eyeliner in an attempt to copy the fashion models and a handful of others wore perhaps, mascara...but then emos didn't exist then.

So has this new revolution of emo-like fashion and other fashions in recent years made it so that girls are expected to wear make up? To make themselves more acceptable? To fit in?

Bleh. I wear make up when I go out some place nice - it makes me feel dressed up, but beyond that I rarely wear it everyday. It's like plastering on some other facade to do something mudane. Make up isn't me.

So yeah, I think another question to add is of expectation and peer pressure.

And Venge, don't be offended or anything I took your comment cos it fitted the argument

Meet Colin and Mitch

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information